Thought I would do an update on my purchase of a 3.0DCi Initiale in April 2012 with 72K.
The injection warning light turned out to be due to a fractured air hose – it being a short hose to the plenum chamber, and hidden under the front under bonnet trim. That fixed, she flew like a bird.
Since then parts replaced have been:
- two rear anti-roll bar bushes
- both rear shockers – made no difference to the ride– damn!
- Rear suspension arm
- Rosic sourced me an air filter box, n/s under bonnet trim, and n/s wing from Poland. (A storm blew over a roofed bench which caught the front corner of the wing so puncturing it.)
- Rosic also removed the card reader and fitted a working reader, so can press button and let go – what a guy!
Then in August it overheated dramatically when I pushed it hard up Shap. To cut a long story short, I found a diesel engine specialist who cautiously, with a lot of warnings of high cost and possibly no good end result, took on the job. Rear cylinder head was found to be the culprit, but oddly the head gasket was OK!? He sent the head off for pressure testing and again oddly, it passed. However they did skim 4 thou off it. The head was put back on and its been good as gold ever since. The cost was astronomical; 28 hours labour will give you an idea. I cocked up by agreeing to a cambelt change, forgetting that it had been done by the previous owner only three years and 25K miles before. A wasted £500. So total cost £2,200. But I felt I had no option. If I had scrapped it, I would have had to pay a similar amount to buy a replacement, with who knows what issues. Better the devil you know. And anyway its my project, and I have kept one Vel on the road! Does the club give medals for this?
Then the MoT just now required:
- n/s track rod end
- n/s suspension arm including ball joint.
Had the MoT done on Tuesday 19th March because on the 20th it would have failed due to the seat belt/airbag light showing intermittently.
So two major jobs left to do:
- Sort out that seat belt/airbag light
- Replace non-functioning headlamp washers.
Non-essentials – any ideas welcome:
- creaking door stay on driver’s door
- driver’s seat belt pulls out, retracts onto driver, then locks, so cannot reach forward.
- rusty wheel nuts
- start button light
- aircon display light (too difficult to fix)
- get the alloys prettied up
Fortunately I had a big budget to replace my previous car, and chose to buy this Vel cheap and accept any inevitable costs.