60,000 mile service for Babette | Renault Dealers, Independent Garages, MoTs and Servicing - LIVE DIARIES | Vel Satis Forum

You must be logged in to post Login Register

Register? | Lost Your Password?

Minimum search word length is 4 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

60,000 mile service for Babette

UserPost

16:48
September 26, 2011

Battlecat

Well, after three months and 3000 trouble free miles owning Babette my 3.0 dci VS, she has just reached 60500 miles and the spanner icon is flashing.

I was debating whether to do the service myself, take her to my local independent garage or to a Renault one. The local one is 600 yards away and the Renault one is WESTS in Cambridge over 20 miles away plus I thought it would be good to have her checked out thoroughly.

I went to the local one to enquire if they would do a 60k service, they would and it would be around £230 +vat. I asked if they would put the two new tyres, that I had in the garage, on whilst they had it in but they said no. They would however if they supplied the tyres. Mmmmmmmm I thought.

I went home and rang the Renault garage in Cambridge and spoke to a very helpful guy in the service department. I asked if he was familiar with the Vel Satis and he said he was, so that was a good start. I then asked how much a 60k service would cost. I heard him tapping away and waited for the shock…….."A 60k service on the VS is £190 +vat" he said. Not bad I thought, trouble was its in Cambridge. " We do a courtesy car for £15" that would be handy I thought.

Now the crunch question would he fit the tyres that I bought. "Yes, no problem thats £20 to fit both tyres"

Great stuff. So I have booked it in for next Thursday, just hope I don't get any shocks if they start poking around to find work!! Surprised

I will update you at the weekend.

PS. Just renewed my insurance with swiftcover and got Fully Comp for £303. About £50 more than the Rover 75 was last year.

16:54
September 26, 2011

R9UKE

Main dealers seem to be getting much more competitive with their servicing costs.  I happened to be in a Renault dealer picking up a tyre pressure sensor when my Mégane was due it's 80k service.  I enquired about the price while I was waiting expecting it to be a joke, but he came back with "£99 for a regular service or £150 for the premium".  £150 is what I would expect to pay at a little garage so it was no brainer for that Renault stamp in the service book, and they washed it.  Plus… they didn't "find" any expensive faults to conveniently repair.  Very pleased!  

17:24
September 26, 2011

Battlecat

R9UKE said:

Main dealers seem to be getting much more competitive with their servicing costs.  I happened to be in a Renault dealer picking up a tyre pressure sensor when my Mégane was due it's 80k service.  I enquired about the price while I was waiting expecting it to be a joke, but he came back with "£99 for a regular service or £150 for the premium".  £150 is what I would expect to pay at a little garage so it was no brainer for that Renault stamp in the service book, and they washed it.  Plus… they didn't "find" any expensive faults to conveniently repair.  Very pleased!  

Thats good news Luke. Just hope I have the same result at Wests.

18:34
September 26, 2011

Team

UK

Admin

posts 604

Glad to hear that WESTS in Cambridge seem to be good on first impressions. The fact that the guy is au fait with the Vel Satis is a great start and it's unusual that they're happy to fit your own tyres, so that really is impressive and good service. I hope they do a great job next week and do Babette proud! Keep us posted.

It seems that servicing at Renault main dealer varies a fair bit in terms of what they offer. Vel Satis Owners Club members in the Manchester and North West regions report that they usually get offered the Motrio Service or the 'full Renault service' which costs about £250-300. Goodness knows what the difference is, as the cheaper packages offered by Renault dealers often claim to include genuine Renault parts, etc.

Vel-Satis.org Chief Administrator & Founder

07:33
September 30, 2011

Battlecat

Battlecat said:

Well, after three months and 3000 trouble free miles owning Babette my 3.0 dci VS, she has just reached 60500 miles and the spanner icon is flashing.

UPDATE

Well, it's a thumbs up for Wests of Cambridge.LaughLaughLaughLaugh

Collected Babette yesterday after her 60k service and was very pleased that the total bill was under £220.

Broken down that is

£190 for the service which incuded a pollen filter, oil change and 25 point check.

£20 for fitting the two tyres (that I had bought elsewhere for £70 each).

£7.50 for the use of a lone car for the day. ( a new Renault Twingo)

The guys at the service centre were very professional and told me they had several Vel Sati on their books,  so were quite familiar with them.

When I paid the bill the service guy said jokinly we didn't manage to find any extra work to charge for!  I told him that I was amazed too being a Renault and that all the electrics worked!! He added that the car was  in superb condition and one of the best we have seen.

So a very good experience from "Wests of Cambridge" a Renaut main dealer. I would recommend this service centre and will use them again.

Just out of interest to you, my friend his Jaguar XJ 2.2 serviced in Cambridge this week at Marshalls. Can you believe they charged him £95 for oil.Frown His 25k service was well over £500. Won't be going there.

No Tags

Comments are closed.